HCPS
Administration
Action Item
DATE: Tuesday, January 15, 2013
TO: School Board Members
FROM: MaryEllen Elia, Superintendent
SUBJECT / RECOMMENDATIONS
Approve the Recommendation to Provide a Safe School Environment by Enhancing Security Measures
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

As you are aware, school safety has always been a priority in Hillsborough County Public Schools, but now has become a focus at the national and state levels.  Emergency management is an essential element of safe school planning initiatives.  Our district has a nationally recognized Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan (CEMP), as well as school resource officers in all secondary (middle and high) and alternative education schools.  In addition, all of our school administrators receive on-going crisis management training.  In our continuous effort to provide a safe school environment, we have solicited input from local and national school safety experts to review our crisis management protocols and each of our schools' ability to provide appropriate access control.  The purpose of this agenda item is to enhance our security measures at all of our schools, by: 

  • Utilizing the services of Michael Dorn, a nationally recognized school safety expert, to review district safety and security protocols and school access control.  Local law enforcement agencies in concert with our school security staff are performing access control review at every school site (access control means that a person must receive permission to enter and exit the site).  The approximate cost is $8,500.
  • Approximately 90 percent of our schools are appropriately access controlled.  The approximate cost to secure the remaining 10 percent is $1,200,000.
  • Hire an additional 130 security personnel (this number is inclusive of appropriate supervision); thereby, placing an armed and trained officer at each elementary school site.  This is in addition to the 78 school resource deputies/officers provided in our partnership with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office and the Tampa Police Department.  Our school security officers will perform similar duties to that of School Resource Officers (SRO's) and School Resource Deputies (SRD's), in that they will patrol the campus, provide immediate response, work to develop neighborhood crime watches in each school community, as well as instruct students in their involvement in crime prevention strategies, law enforcement, crisis management and anti-bullying programs.  As you are aware, the Tampa Police Department and the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office have agreed to enhance their presence on our campuses through the remainder of the 2012/13 school year. This will allow us the transition time necessary to recruit, hire and train the additional security personnel.  The approximate cost for the 2012/13 school year is $700,000, whereas the cost for the 2013/14 school year is projected at $4,100,000.
  • Continue ongoing crisis management training of our administrators, faculty, students and staff.  This required training will be documented and forwarded to the Area Leadership Director and Director of School Security. The cost is projected to be $40,000.
STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES
• Promote a culture of safety, which is free from harassment, bullying, and aggression • Demonstrate "best practices" in all aspects of safety including students, employees, visitors, facilities, transportation, and health
FINANCIAL IMPACT (Budgeted:  Yes)
The 2012/13 school year projected costs are as follows:

  • $8,500 for consultant fee (Michael Dorn)
  • $1,200,000 for securing the remaining 10% of our facilities  (estimate)
  • $700,000 to ramp up our existing staff with an additional 50 security personnel for 3 months prior to June 30, 2013.  The remaining security personnel are projected to be in place during the 2013/14 school year. 
  • $10,000 for Crisis Management Training

The 2013/14 school year projected costs are as follows:

  • $3,600,000 for salary and benefits (estimate based on a 10-month calendar)
  • $500,000 one time cost for equipment for security personnel (estimate)
  • $30,000 for ongoing Crisis Management Training

In 2014/15 and subsequent years projected costs will be approximately $3,700,000.

The 2012/13 school year fiscal impact will be budgeted from the district contingency fund.  The 2013/14 school year and beyond will be included in the development of the regular district Part I budget. 

EVALUATION
  • Annual Florida Education Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability Report (OPPAGA)
  • Council of Great City Schools Key Performance Indicator (CGCS KPI) Annual Survey 
SUBMITTED BY: 
David Friedberg   Lewis A. Brinson
Manager, Security Services Department
(813) 840-7215
  Assistant Superintendent, Administration
(813) 272-4071
    A 7.07R
Hillsborough County Public Schools (Florida) * Mtg.#20130115_550 (Board Meeting)* Section A Item# 7.07R